• Venmo account for Fundraising??

Posted by Holly on August 29, 2024 at 9:22 am

Random question here: My development director would like me to set up a Venmo account to use at our fundraising events. From my research, a charity cannot have a Venmo account without either 1) a designated, supported mobile number -which we do not have OR 2) attaching to an existing person’s mobile number. The suggestion there being, as I am Finance director, it would be attached to my account. I do have a personal Venmo account that I use frequently. So, I am a bit hesitant to do this. Has anyone done this? do the account coexist nicely? Am I worried for no reason? Thanks! Holly

Holly replied 1 week, 4 days ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Miriam

August 29, 2024 at 11:56 am

I had the same request a few years back, I declined to go that route. I then thought that there was an unnecessary liability (for me), I haven’t changed my mind. We have used PayPal and other QR & bar code scanner forms, yes, those methods come with merchant fees. Hope this helps.

• Maggie_Christ

August 29, 2024 at 11:57 am

Could you use a google voice number?

• mfulop

August 29, 2024 at 11:58 am

Here is all you need to know:

https://help.venmo.com/hc/en-us/articles/6678084998291-Charity-Profile-FAQ

• mfulop

August 29, 2024 at 12:54 pm

Ok, this did not post my whole thoughts and when I tried to edit my reply, they did not go through. What I meant to type, in addition to the link, was that …depending on your online donor platform you may be able to set up a Venmo account. For a while we had a venmo account through the Classy platform (which we no longer use).

• Holly

September 5, 2024 at 11:45 am

You cannot use a google number, unfortunately. Or, actually, we have Grasshopper now, but it’s the same deal. It has to be a mobile number backed by a common carrier. Thanks for other info, though, I will check with our donor platform.

Join a space designed to foster support, inclusivity, and respect for every voice.

Ask questions, share experiences, and connect with peers and experts who value your insights. Your contribution is invaluable - forum members bring a wealth of knowledge and experience, crucial for mutual growth and learning. We cherish your expertise and would love to have you enrich our forum! Let's build together, learn together, and support one another.