• Best Budget ing software for Nonprofit Organizations and why?

Posted by Bob on September 14, 2023 at 10:43 am

Currently using FundEz for accounting and Excel for budgeting… Hoping to find a good tool to work on budgeting and help with formatting for input/upload to FundEz. Looking forward to hearing your suggestions. Thank you!

mary-ellen replied 6 months, 1 week ago 5 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Wade_Rogers_Forum_Moderator

October 3, 2023 at 6:52 am

Hi Bob…and please accept my apologies for our delay in responding to your post! While others may have different opinions, I have found that Excel works best for me in building budgets. It is of course the least expensive alternative as well. Also, we have plans for the near future to dive deeper into budgeting in an upcoming webinar. Stay tuned!

• Dana-B-Forum-Moderator

October 3, 2023 at 9:44 am

Hi Bob – I would tend to agree with Wade around Excel. Especially if you’re using FundEz as your accounting system, which doesn’t always integrate nicely with other softwares. I’m hoping Excel can give you enough flexibility and capability to budget by Cost Center while also factoring in restricted funds tracked in FundEz.

• Stephen

October 24, 2023 at 11:44 am

We’re using Budgyt.com and it’s ok. Setting it up was a mess, but now that it’s running its pretty seamless. A good price point for a medium sized nonprofit like ourselves. https://budgyt.com/

I’d be interested in using Datarails.com if you decided to stay in excel.

• mary-ellen

October 24, 2023 at 1:41 pm

We have used Excel/Google Sheets for many years for budgeting (Quickbooks for accounting). We create an operating budget (very detailed) and a capital expenditures budget (pretty simple). A spreadsheet allows you to build all kinds of detail, formulas, past comparison data, program statistics, etc. Very flexible. Then we use it again 2/3 of the way through the year, to project the current actual P&L forward to year-end and compare it to the original budget. Very helpful for making year-end operating decisions. After the budget is approved, we input it to Quickbooks so that we can run Budget vs Actual reports throughout the year for the Board.