Tagged: ,

• Passthrough funds & how to report them on 990

Posted by Kristin on May 30, 2024 at 8:08 am

I am in my first year as ED of a small nonprofit. We manage some public grants for a few of our member organizations. On our budget, those passthrough revenue and expenses are “below the line.” In the past, the passthrough funds were not included in our 990 at all – enabling us to file the EZ form. With a new finance consultant (who I trust) doing our 990 for 2023, they are including the passthrough in our financial statements.

Do we need to report these passthrough funds on the 990? If so, is there a way to show them similarly to how we do on our budget – they are below the line of our operating budget. And if we do need to report them, what would/could be the messaging to people who look at ’22 and then ’23 to see a huge difference in revenue and expenses?

THANK YOU!

Kristin

Kristin replied 1 month, 1 week ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Kate

May 31, 2024 at 12:00 pm

Kristin,

Your new accountant is correct that any revenue that is received by the nonprofit should be reported on the 990. While there isn’t a way to report them “below the line”, you can communicate how the funds are re-distributed by how you complete Part III: Statement of Program Accomplishments. You can describe this aspect of your work as a program. You’ll see that this includes a line for revenue and grants made for their program. The fact that those amounts offset will help tell your story. You’ll find with the full 990 that you have more opportunity to tell your story on this form.

• Kristin

May 31, 2024 at 2:12 pm

Kate,

This is so helpful. I needed the explanation of the “why” to communicate with my board.

I can see in the draft the accountant sent me that they include grants given in Part III, as you said.

Many thanks!

Kristin