• michaelwyland

August 12, 2022 at 2:59 pm

Kate:

Your story is an example of a provocative statement I make in training sessions. If you want to damage a nonprofit (especially a religious congregation), there’s nothing more effective than a windfall donation!

There are those who say that sudden wealth doesn’t change one’s character, but it reveals one’s character.

I’m also reminded of the Mark Twain observation that it’s the *lack of* money that’s the root of all evil.

I agree that referring to the nonprofit’s current strategic plan (with special emphasis on mission, vision, and values) is essential. I also recommend that the funds be held for several months to a year while the shock of the gift wears off and decisions about using the money can be made after deliberation by members and leaders (and often after consulting external stakeholders).

Join a space designed to foster support, inclusivity, and respect for every voice.

Ask questions, share experiences, and connect with peers and experts who value your insights. Your contribution is invaluable - forum members bring a wealth of knowledge and experience, crucial for mutual growth and learning. We cherish your expertise and would love to have you enrich our forum! Let's build together, learn together, and support one another.