Reply To: Managing and using cash reserves

Michael
Participant
    @michaelwyland

I agree with the “it depends” school of thought on reserves planning. Three months is, to me, an irreducible minimum of operating reserves. My local United Way chapter mandates a *maximum* of three months in reserves, and many agencies find this to be a burden because other funding sources are: 1) retrospective in nature (i.e., foundations or government reimbursing for services rendered); and 2) irregular and/or occasional (e.g., semiannual) in making payments to nonprofits.

My opinion is that 6-12 months of operating reserves is the “neighborhood” most nonprofits should be living in, depending on other circumstances – like major funder restrictions.

Some nonprofits go so far as to establish related entities (other nonprofits or even for-profits) to hold assets so they are not counted towards what a funder might consider reasonable matching funds for a project or program. There are even examples of nonprofits using related entities to appear to reduce organizational overhead and report higher shares of budget allocated to program expense. NOTE: I am not necessarily advocating this practice; I’m simply noting that it exists.

We Want to Hear from You!

The current version of the Commons is in beta testing mode meaning we are constantly looking for feedback to improve the experience.  Have some thoughts?  Want to see different content?  Have a question about how this all works?  Let us know!

Contact us!